Weather systems and atmospheric dynamics
The module "Weather Systems and Atmospheric Dynamics" encompasses the description and understanding of the fundamental processes that govern atmospheric motion on a wide range of scales (meso, synoptic, planetary). They form the basis of every-day weather and longer-term (seasonal) climate evolution and underlie diagnosis and prediction.
Weather responds to the overall climate setting, and climate is in effect accumulated weather. Calculations and predictions of climate and weather are based on our (theoretical and experimental) understanding of the processes. Atmospheric flow exerts a pronounced influence upon the distribution of the atmosphere's constituents (including climate sensitive trace gases and pollution levels in the boundary layer). Weather and its predictability is a fundamental ingredient in environmental risk assessment.
To enable students to
- exploit and interpret large data sets in the form of the available global, regional, and micro-scale data sets
- be aware of the strengths and limitations of the current range of quasi-operational observational measurement techniques
- operate state-of-the-art research and NWP models
- acquire an advanced understanding of weather charts and current forecasting products
- contribute to the resolution of some current pressing issues related to the state of the environment and aspects related to risk management
Module course list
Recommendations for the optional courses block
|The data from this study course are currently reprocessed. They are available again in about 5 minutes.
Diese Website wird in älteren Versionen von Netscape ohne
graphische Elemente dargestellt. Die Funktionalität der
Website ist aber trotzdem gewährleistet. Wenn Sie diese
Website regelmässig benutzen, empfehlen wir Ihnen, auf
Ihrem Computer einen aktuellen Browser zu installieren. Weitere
Informationen finden Sie auf
The content in this site is accessible to any browser or
Internet device, however, some graphics will display correctly
only in the newer versions of Netscape. To get the most out of
our site we suggest you upgrade to a newer browser.