Analysis of Climate and Weather Data
- Introduce state-of-the-art statistical techniques of data
analysis in modern climate sciences,
- Empower to conduct own data analysis and to interpret
results in the scientific literature,
- Excerzise the application and interpretation in hands-on exercises.
Oral examination after the end of the semester (30 minutes). 3 ECTS credits.
8 two-hour lectures & 5 computer workshops.
Course notes (slides) are provided in electronic form on this site.
|17.09.15||1) Introduction, Basics & Exploratory Methods|
|24.09.15||2) Hypothesis Testing|
|01.10.15||Workshop: Introduction to R (Documents below)|
|08.10.15||3) Trend Analysis|
|15.10.15||Workshop: Exploratory Methods & Trend Analysis (Documents below)|
|22.10.15||4) Extreme Value Analysis|
|29.10.15||Workshop: Extreme Value Analysis (Documents below)|
|12.11.15||5) Forecast Evaluation and Skill Scores (Part 1)|
|19.11.15||5) Forecast Evaluation and Skill Scores (Part 2)|
|26.11.15||Workshop: Forecast Evaluation and Skill Scores (Documents below)|
|03.12.15||6) Principal Component Analysis|
|10.12.15||6) Maximum Covariance Analysis|
|17.12.15||Workshop: PCA & MCA (Documents below)
|01.10.2015||Workshop 0: Introduction to R||demoR.R / R-Intro|
|15.10.2015||Workshop 1: Exploratory Methods & Trend Analysis||ex1.R|
|29.10.2015||Workshop 2 : Extreme Value Analysis||ex2.R|
|26.11.2015||Workshop 3: Forecast Evaluation and Skill Scores||ex3.R|
|17.12.2015||Workshop 4 : PCA & MCA||ex4.R|
Computer workshops are based on the software "R environment for statistical computing and graphics" - short "R". R is platform independent and is freely available from the R-project web-site.
An introduction to R for beginners will be given in a specific Workshop (01.10.2015). A detailed introduction is available from the R-project web-site.
For the time of the workshops a “fleet” of Macintosh Laptop Computers (Mac OS) will be available. Students are however encouraged to bring along their own portable computers (if available). We recommend you install R on your computer before the first workshop. The installation of the add-on packages needed for the ACWD workshops (see below) will also be explained during the workshop on 09.10.2014.
Additional software and datasets are needed for the workshops. They are provided as additional packages (adding functionality to the R standard installation). To make your R installation ready for the workshops follow these steps:
- Install the packages fitdistrplus, maps, mapproj, mapdata from the R-website via the "Package Installer" command in R. These are contributed packages generally available from the R-website.
- Download the packages below (without unzipping) from the present website (using your browser). Store them on your disk, and finally install them into R using the "Package Installer - Local Source Package" command in your R. (The order of installation should be as the packs are listed.)